[Peace-discuss] The US Is Facing a Weimar Moment

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Thu Mar 19 05:58:14 CDT 2009

> The devastating collapse of the economy after eight years of
> Republican rule has left the leadership, policies, and ideology of the
> right utterly discredited. But, as was the case with Germany in 1919,
> Republicans do not intend to allow the new government to succeed. They
> will do everything they can to undermine it. If they are successful,
> the U.S. may yet go the way of Weimar Germany.
You never give me your money, you only send me your funny paper.
(virtual and digital)

A Weimar-esque interlude of breathtaking hyperinflation is a possible,
perhaps the most likely, future scenario for the formerly US Dollar, but
perhaps not the Pythian Full Monty (to mix several metaphors).

And an interesting twist to fix the causation on a partisan refusal to
comply with the policies of the new boss which are mind-numbingly
similar to those of the previous gaggle of scoundrels.  As if spam,
eggs, and spam is innovatively different from spam, spam, and eggs, ...,
nPr, ad infinitum.

The triggering event would appear not to be any dastardly partisan
refusal of forcibly spending other people's money to extinction,
but rather the failure of sabre-rattling envoys like Hillary Clinton to
intimidate the Chinese into the purchase of recycled toilet paper.

If/when the Europeans actually can't eat any more US treasury bonds and
the Chinese decide to quit buying them, then the oft-referred to
"uncoupling" will
send the USD into the widely anticipated free fall.

Other scenarios are possible.