[Peace-discuss] Confronting Iran's Bushian Response to Obama's Overture

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 12:34:01 CDT 2009

Obama did a good thing with his Nowruz/New Year's outreach to Iran,
regardless of Iran's response. As one would likely expect, the "New
Year" in the Iranian tradition carries much of the connotation of "New
Year's" in the West or Rosh Ha-Shana in the Jewish tradition: a time
of new beginnings. New Administration, new year - as good a time as
any to reach out.

Some in the media - even media generally critical of US policy - seem
genuinely disappointed that Iranian officials did not throw flowers in
response. I think this is short-sighted.

I was interviewed by Al Jazeera yesterday, and the interviewer asked
me to respond to the contrast between the cool words of Supreme Leader
Khamenei with the warm words of welcome of Khaled Meshaal, the exiled
leader of Hamas in Syria. I pointed out that while their tone may have
been different, their content was pretty similar - both said they were
looking for concrete changes in U.S. policy.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/3/23/124025/912

--
Robert Naiman
Just Foreign Policy