[Peace-discuss] Afghanistan: The Four Questions

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Mar 26 20:05:45 CDT 2009

Suppose a Russian political commentator wrote as follows 25 years ago, while the
USSR was occupying Afghanistan:

   "1. Will the USSR support political negotiations between the Afghan
government and leaders of Afghanistan's insurgencies?

   "2. Is the USSR prepared to discuss its long-term intentions in Afghanistan?

   "3. Is the USSR prepared to relax the political constraints it has previously
imposed on Afghan negotiations?

   "4. Is the USSR prepared to address the political roots of Saudi Arabia's
relationship with the Afghan insurgencies?"

If the Russian commentator held that "What finally matters are the answers to
these four questions, which are only now beginning to be asked" -- and implied
as it seems that the answer to each should be "yes" -- I would say that he was
attempting to design a more thoughtful, circumspect, and therefore successful
occupation.

But the occupation should be rejected, then and now. The Afghan people and
people around the world should have demanded the end to the occupation and a
Russian withdrawal -- and similarly today.  --CGE