[Peace-discuss] Fw: Will Congress Undermine President Obama's Middle East Diplomacy?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed May 6 19:28:11 CDT 2009

I certainly hope Congress -- and an angry public -- undermines Obama's Mideast
"diplomacy," because it's mainly a matter of killing people in "AfPak." The
antiwar movement should be doing everything it can to undermine this sort of
diplomacy.  Note the murder of a hundred civilians in Afghanistan today: Obama
is responsible for that.

Obama's "reaching out" to Iran, as the Iranians rightly recognize, is at best a
gesture, not a change in policy.  Both the last US administration and the
current one have vetoed the neocon/Israeli plan for an overt strike on Iran,
principally because the USG needs Iran's cooperation in Iraq and Afghanistan, as
part of the general policy of US occupation and the control of the region's
energy resources.

Last summer Congress came close to passing a resolution (HR 362), strongly
supported by the neocons and the Israeli lobby, virtually calling for a blockade
of Iran, a very high priority for Israel.  It would have been an act of war and
could have set off the conflagration that is greatly feared in the region and
around the world. But as usual the lobby knows when to disappear, when it comes
up against USG policy, rather than promoting it.  By then (June 2008) the USG
was back in the hands of the Realists, as it still is, and the Neocons lost,
even though there was enough congressional support to pass the resolution.  The
administration let it be known that it didn't want it -- didn't want to be
dragged into a war with Iran -- and it was dropped; the lobby was silent, not
unusually.

The administration knows that serious opposition to the constant US policy is
coming from AfPak, the "central front" of the war, as Obama calls it.
Netanyahu, Karzai, and Zardari were all in Washington this week, receiving their
instruction on how the war there is to be prosecuted. For the latter two, that
meant that they were told to give up their peace initiatives. Pakistan had had a
cease fire in Swat, and Afghanistan had been seeking an understanding with
Mullah Omar. Obama undoubtedly made it clear that the US demanded war. For
Netanyahu, the search continues for an appropriate quisling regime to act as a
jailer for the Palestinians; that will probably have to involve Hamas.

A much better way for us to take action is to write our congresspeople and tell
them to vote against the war funding Obama is requesting.  Anyone who recognizes
what Obama's Mideast policy actually is, will recognize appeals like the one
below as fundamentally misleading -- appearing to be anti-war while in fact
supporting a war policy. The Obamans have always been good at that.

Instead, Obama's war policy should be exposed and condemned.  --CGE