[Peace-discuss] We believe in torture…

Brussel Morton K. mkbrussel at comcast.net
Mon May 11 15:28:43 CDT 2009

…In sum, this seemingly successful campaign of mass persuasion [to
defend the policy of torture] depended upon convincing the public to
believe five things: (1) our country is in great danger, (2) torture
is the only thing that can keep us safe, (3) the people we torture are
monstrous wrongdoers, (4) our decision to torture is moral and for the
greater good, and (5) critics of our torture policy should not be
trusted. And all the while, the marketers painstakingly avoided using
the actual word "torture"--and contested the word's use by anyone
else. Of course, this strategy is by no means unique to the selling of
torture. A similar approach, designed for hawking war, was used with
devastating and tragic effect in building public support for the
invasion of Iraq in 2003.

 From http://www.commondreams.org/view/2009/05/11-7,

an article by Roy Eidelson with the title How Americans Think About
Torture - and Why