[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Update on Gateway Studios

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Tue May 12 12:38:07 CDT 2009

CHAMPAIGN COUNCIL MEETING TONIGHT, 7 PM

Esther found out that tonight's meeting is committee, and therefore we are
restricted to speaking about "budget cuts" which is the agenda item.  I am
sure we can figure out a way to tie our comments into "budget cuts."

BEING PROPOSAL FOCUSED

I suggest that approach the council as *collaborators* to develop structures
we can put in place to prevent this in the future.  The city is not at fault
here - as much as the landlord.  But both cities can play a proactive role
that they are currently not.

I will be suggesting:
1. Pass a *relocation assistance ordinance* that holds landlords responsible
for relocating tenants in a condemned building.  The city would pay for the
emergency relocation and then put a lien on the property to recoup the
costs.
2. *Address that the shelters are full*, and that very few options exist for
families with children.

NEIGHBORHOOD SERVICES BOARD

I just spoke to Ed Hawkes who is the chair of *Champaign's Neigborhood
Services Advisory Board*.  He suggested that we also go to the board, *June
4th at 5:30pm in Champaign Council Chambers*, to continue the discussion
about how to be proactive in preventing this kind of problem in the future.
He will put it on the agenda if plan to come.  Please let me know if you can
attend.

- Danielle