[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Update on Gateway Studios

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Tue May 12 15:01:41 CDT 2009

> Esther found out that tonight's meeting is committee, and therefore we are
restricted to speaking about "budget cuts" which is the agenda item.  I am
>sure we can figure out a way to tie our comments into "budget cuts."

I am also sure that you can probably find a sympathetic councilperson or
even the City Manager who can introduce the issue as an agenda item for the
study session (either a regular agenda item or an emergency one); it may
take several council people making the request to get it taken up at this
session; but it is possible to do.

>1. Pass a relocation assistance ordinance that holds landlords responsible
for relocating tenants in a condemned building

The problem with this as I see it is that in cases where the landlord is
bankrupt or officially has filed for bankruptcy; it may be impossible to get
money out of them to pay for relocation assistance (even if you can, it may
not be obtained in a timely enough manner to help those effected); and
property liens to recover the costs of municipally advanced assistance may
only work if the landlord owns the property (they may not work if the
property is owned by a bank, a third party lender, or another property owner
who is leasing the property to the landlord who then is subletting it to
other tenants).

I would suggest proposing that the cities and county adopt policies that, in
cases such as this, enable them to assist by paying the in the rears
utilities on behalf of the landlords but then collect all rents paid by
tenants until the  landlord's utility debt is paid off (rents would also
cover operating and maintenance costs for the property with those amounts
over those costs going toward paying off the debt to the city).  Of course,
this may mean that the cities will in effect own the property until the debt
is paid off or, in the case of a third party property owner for the property
other than the landlord, that the city (cities or county) would have first
lien on the property or first claims revenues brought in by its sale or
lease should bankruptcy be filed by the property owner.