[Peace-discuss] Damn pictures

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu May 14 17:47:11 CDT 2009

One of the best political comments on the News-Gazette editorial page in some
time (the standard isn't high) appeared today (below).  The cartoonist, Bud
Gorrell (www.gorrellart.com) -- no relation to local activist Bill Gorrell, I
think -- is here reminiscent of Thomas Nast, the best-known American 19th
century political cartoonist:

      In 1868 Thomas Nast turned his attention to the corrupt New York City
administration of Tammany Hall Democrats led by William Magear "Boss" Tweed. For
the next three years Harper's Weekly and the New York Times campaigned against
him. Nast's cartoons were so effective in depicting Tweed as a sleazy criminal
that legend has it that the Boss dispatched his minions with the command, 'Stop
them damn pictures. I don't care what the papers write about me. My constituents
can't read. But, damn it, they can see the pictures.' Voters ousted Tweed and
his compatriots in November 1871. An irony of history is that when Tweed escaped
from jail and fled to Spain in 1876, he was recognized and arrested by a customs
official who did not read English but had seen Nast's Harper's Weekly
caricatures of Tweed...