[Peace-discuss] Obama's thugs & liars

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu May 14 18:15:38 CDT 2009

..."Shouting 'Death to America' and 'Death to the Government,' thousands of
Afghan villagers hurled stones at police ... as they vented their fury at
American air strikes that local officials claim killed 147 civilians," Patrick
Cockburn reported last week in the U.K.'s Independent.

Cockburn added that U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates, speaking in Kabul,
suggested that the dead -- some of them, anyway -- may have been the victims of
Taliban grenades for failing to pay an opium tax. Eyewitnesses and photos of
bomb craters in the three destroyed villages in Farah Province said otherwise,
however, and Gates ultimately "expressed regret for the incident but did not go
so far as to accept blame," Cockburn wrote.

In Mosul, Iraq, last week, American soldiers turned machinegun fire on a
12-year-old boy after their convoy had been hit with a grenade. Because the boy
had Iraqi currency on him worth about nine U.S. dollars, a military spokesman
told McClatchy Newspapers, "We have every reason to believe that insurgents are
paying children to conduct these attacks."

...A man in his 20s had tossed the grenade, witnesses said. But, "When attacked,
the Americans just open fire, whether on the gunman or just randomly," Mosul
member of Parliament Usama Al Nujaifi later said, according to the McClatchy
account. "The American presence in the cities is wrong. We urged them to stay
outside from the beginning."

And, oh yeah, the shooting is still under investigation, according to an
American military statement. As far as I know, no such investigation is under
way into the allegation by human rights groups that some of the civilian
injuries in the Farah Province battles -- "unusual" and serious chemical burns
-- were the result of the U.S. use of white phosphorus, which sticks to the skin
of victims as it burns and is banned for use as a weapon by a treaty the U.S.
has signed...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-koehler/goliaths-vulnerability-is_b_203564.html