{Disarmed} [Peace-discuss] ...but everyone knew her as "Nancy"

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Sat May 16 13:02:24 CDT 2009

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 08:27:40AM -0500, E. Wayne Johnson wrote:
> "Nancy" Pelosi, California Democrat, said the CIA lied to her in 2002, lied
> in the run-up to the Iraq war, and is misleading now.
>
> "They mislead us all the time. I was fighting the war in Iraq at that
> point, too, you know,"
> the House's top Democrat told reporters, fending off tough questions during
> her weekly press briefing at the Capitol.
>
> The Washington Times is running an online poll:
>
> Do you believe the CIA lied to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi about the use of
> controversial interrogation techniques?
>
> Response 	Percent 	Votes
> Yes 	7% 	825 votes
> No 	91% 	10634 votes
> Undecided 	0% 	104 votes
> Other 	0% 	15 votes
> *11578 total votes*

My guess:

   The answer is Yes, I bet the CIA did deliberately mislead
   Pelosi about what they were up to re interrogation.
   They certainly haven't hesitated to lie to Congress before.
   But soon enough there was plenty of evidence that torture
   was being used by the CIA and friends.

But ... so what?  Skewering Pelosi for being disingenuous
is just a route to obfuscating any discussion of US use of torture.
If Pelosi wants to clear her name, she'd be better off calling
for an unbridled truth commission.