[Peace-discuss] So much for the notion of free utilities and services from government

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Sat May 16 21:16:13 CDT 2009

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 8:57 PM, LAURIE SOLOMON <LAURIE at advancenet.net>wrote:

>  Apparently protect and serve will now be at a cost.

In a tiny minority of instances, perhaps.

> I have to wonder how the poor and working poor will be able to afford such
> security and safety;

Through their state-mandated auto insurance?  (Although I don't think the
city of Urbana has thought that through all that carefully.)

I have to wonder if this means that the local resident’s taxes will be
> reduced

No.  The city of Urbana is trying to raise ADDITIONAL revenue.

> or if they will be expected to continue to chip in for activities that are
> being charged for and funded by outsiders.

No.  Residents of the city of Urbana are taxed to pay for services provided
to residents of the city of Urbana.  As a resident of the city of Urbana,
Laurie, do you want your taxes providing services for the city of Chicago?
I didn't think so.

And it seems stupid and near-sighted to say that the insurance companies
> will be paying for the fees as if that would mean that it will not cost
> anyone anything.  Don’t they expect that the insurance companies will recoup
> the losses in spades by charging more for insurance to not only
> out-of-county residents but to all their insures (particularly given that
> should these fees catch on, every county and municipality will try and
> charge fees for handling accidents – and not just on federal highways but on
> local roads and streets as well).

You're overreacting, Laurie.

 Urbana council to consider emergency-response fees By Mike
Monson<http://www.news-gazette.com/news/reporter/mmonson/> Saturday,