[Peace-discuss] So much for the notion of free utilities and services from government

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Sat May 16 22:26:59 CDT 2009

>or if they will be expected to continue to chip in for activities that are
being charged for and funded by outsiders.

>>No.  Residents of the city of Urbana are taxed to pay for services
provided to residents of the city of Urbana.  As a resident of the city of
Urbana, >>Laurie, do you want your taxes providing services for the city of
Chicago?  I didn't think so.

First, I am not a resident of the City of Urbana since I live in Champaign.
Second, I never favored the atomistic balkanization of communities in which
each regards itself, its destiny, and its burdens and benefits as separate
and distinct from that of the whole.  When I go to a different location, I
expect that I will have the same services and protections available to me
independent of my financial means that the locals have just as I expect that
they would receive the same when in my local community. The residents of the
City of Urbana or anywhere else for that matter are taxed to pay for the
services in that community which are intended to be for everyone no matter
where they come from as if they were residents and are not intended to be
reserved for the residents exclusively.  We use federal and state tax monies
gathered from other communities in the communities of Champaign and Urbana
just as other communities use tax monies generated here in their
communities.  If that were not the case, the residents of this community
would not have many of the goods, services, amenities, and benefits that
they now enjoy as a result of state and federal funding based on money from
other communities.

Secondly, as for "do you want your taxes providing services for the city of
Chicago," it really does not matter what I think or want; but if it did, I
would no more object to that than I would object to paying for schools for
other people's children given that I have no children or even family within
600 miles that have children in need of those services no or in the future
and given that, as a child, I was educated in communities out East.  But
this is what sharing the benefits and burdens of citizenship is all about,
paying for services that you may not need but other do and receiving
services paid for by others that you need but others may not.

> You're overreacting, Laurie.

I don't think so.  I am merely noting that justifying the charging of said
fees by saying that the insurance company will pay for it so it will not be
a cost to the motorist is not only stupid and near-sighted; but it is
dishonest and disingenuous regardless of any reasons that might be used to
justify such fees.  If I were really overreacting, I would have said that we
should kill the Urbana Council members and the City Staff by burying them
alive along with their friends and families; but I have not suggested that
at all. However, I do acknowledge that one persons ceiling may be another's
floor.