[Peace-discuss] July 4 parade

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Wed May 20 06:46:08 CDT 2009

Another Lincoln quote:

/"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing
about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black
races - that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or
jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to
intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that
there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I
believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of
social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live,
while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and
inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the
superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I
do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior
position the Negro should be denied everything."

/-  Charleston IL September 18, 1858