[Peace-discuss] Accepting the lie about the causes of wars

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Thu May 21 09:32:52 CDT 2009

"The Northern onslaught upon slavery was no more than a piece of
specious humbug
designed to conceal its desire for economic control of the Southern
states."  -Charles Dickens

Historian John V. Denson writes-

Rarely do any governments, or the politicians, intellectuals and news
media who support their wars, tell the truth about the real motives for
the wars. After all, the citizens must be convinced either that their
safety is being protected from an aggressor or that the war serves some
noble purpose, because it's the citizens who fight, die and pay the
taxes. The Orwellian historians have falsified the true purposes or
motives behind most of America's wars, and have instead given us
glorified accounts designed to mislead the public in order to justify
the sacrifices the people have made.

All wars, whether won or lost, tend to centralize and increase the power
into the national government, increase the debts and taxes and diminish
the civil liberties of the citizens. It is time we begin to see through
the myths and false propaganda about American wars so that we can
prevent future wars. Americans have a strong tendency to accept as true
the false wartime propaganda which now appears in the history books and
which is repeated by politicians and intellectuals to the effect that
all of America's wars have been just, necessary and noble.

This tendency of the Americans to accept this false propaganda tends to
prevent them from questioning the alleged reasons for current wars.
There is also a strong tendency by Americans to measure a person's
patriotism by how much that person supports an American war rather than
how much the person supports the concept of American freedom and the
ideas of our Founders, which includes a noninterventionist foreign policy

It is time that Americans learn the truth about the real reasons behind
our wars, and particularly, the War Between the States, because of the
price that we have paid in the long-term loss of liberty in that war.
The deaths of over 600,000 American young men in that war is not exactly
inconsequential. This high death total is more than the total of all the
deaths of American soldiers in all the other wars America has fought.