[Peace-discuss] Accepting the lie about the causes of wars

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Thu May 21 11:01:53 CDT 2009

All very true; but we can turn this on its head and suggest that Denson's
comments could also be said about those who present protests against wars -
rarely to do they tell the truth about the real motives for opposing wars.
In both cases, it may be because the real and the not-so real motives are
many and tend to blend into one another such that they may not be clearly
known.

For example, the fact that you quote Denson's  remarks that "All wars,
whether won or lost, tend to centralize and increase the power into the
national government, increase the debts and taxes and diminish the civil
liberties of the citizens. It is time we begin to see through the myths and
false propaganda about American wars so that we can prevent future wars.
Americans have a strong tendency to accept as true the false wartime
propaganda which now appears in the history books and which is repeated by
politicians and intellectuals to the effect that all of America's wars have
been just, necessary and noble" would appear to give some indication of why
you and other libertarians might be anti-war . Namely, you oppose the
centralization and increase in national (and all) governmental power, the
increase in public debt and taxes, and what you see as a decrease in
individualism as defined in terms of civil liberties for citizens.  The
opposition may or may not be on moral and ethical grounds as well; but the
use of those grounds tend to be used in a similar manner as the myths and
false propaganda which are intended to make wars appear necessary and noble.

Others may oppose wars for reasons of practical political expediency, to
attract members of the opposite sex, or to gain fame, although these real
motives too may be hidden beneath a veil of noble and moral justifications
and claims which serve as useful myths for legitimizing ones position and
covering up one's real motivations.   Sometimes it is useful to turn some of
these analyses on ourselves in order to reveal our own shortcomings and
motivations.

By the way, this type of behavior is not restricted to Americans or American
Wars.