[Peace-discuss] Fwd: FW: Xe is the Problem -- In These Times

Barbara kessel barkes at gmail.com
Thu May 21 12:09:43 CDT 2009

From: Dan Kenney <dkenney53 at hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, May 20, 2009 at 2:50 PM
Subject: FW: Xe is the Problem -- In These Times
To: Amy <asmith30252 at sbcglobal.net>, Anne Feeney <anne at annefeeney.com>,
Paul Carlson <pcarlson at ltlt.org>, Raw Story <tips at rawstory.com>, Rick Jacobs
<rjacobs at couragecampaign.org>, Robin Codepink <robinatcodepink at aol.com>,
Rose Riegle <riegle at svsu.edu>, Siobhan Kolar <siobhanhkolar at gmail.com>,
siobhankolar at hotmail.com, Stanley Campbell <peaceman50 at hotmail.com>, Stan
Campbell <peaceman50 at aol.com>, Susan Stephens <sstephens at niu.edu>, Tony WRTT
Madison <tonyclatinjazz at yahoo.com>, Vickie Romero <lovepeace4world at yahoo.com>,
Ward Smith <wardpsmith at yahoo.com>, WTVO Channel 17 ABC <newsdesk at wtvo.com>
Cc: Mary Shesgreen <marysedrop at msn.com>

 An article that up-dates our work in Illinois to stop Blackwater (now Xe)
in the June issue of *In These Times*. Visit our website
http://www.noprivatearmies.org/and stay informed about this growing issue of
mercenaries being used for our fighting in foreign countries. We are seeing
worldwide a growing use of private military and security to do the work once
performed by the public sector. It is leading to the privatization of our
militay and the militarization of our police.

Dan Kenney
Co-Coordinator of
noprivatearmies.org/ Clearwater
------------------------------

Subject: Xe is the Problem -- In These Times

Thought you might be interested in this article from In These Times.
---------------------
*Xe is the Problem*
Keeping the corporation formerly known as Blackwater out of Skunk Hollow.
By Jenny Tomkins
At first glance, it appears that 2009 didnt start so well for the military
contractor Xe, until February known as Blackwater Worldwide. In January,
with multiple other lawsuits pending, six of its former employees went on
trial for the death of 17 Iraqi civilians in September 2007 in Nisoor
Square, Baghdad. And in March, its contract in Iraq, where it has so far
made more than $1 billion dollars, was canceled.
Yet, on April 20 the AP reported that Xe (pronounced "zee") will remain in
Iraq until the summer. It has been widely reported that its aviation
company, Presidential Airlines, will continue operations in Iraq until the
fall. And Triple Canopy, the company that will assume Xes contract in Iraq
to protect U.S. personnel, will be hiring former Blackwater/Xe personnel.
The private military corporation (PMC) market, of which Xe is a boutique
part, is growing globally at 6 to 8 percent a year and has now surpassed
$100 billion, mostly based in the United States and the United Kingdom. The
use of mercenaries goes back millennia, but the phenomenon of corporate
private armies capable of challenging the nation states "monopoly on
violence"--as President Barack Obama put it--is a late 20th century
development that worries peace activists around the globe. These private
armies are used not just on the battlefield but also to protect
corporations, train public law enforcement personnel and, as after Katrina,
patrol city streets.
Click here for the full article:
http://www.inthesetimes.com/main/article/4431/<http://www.inthesetimes.com/main/article/4431/xe_is_the_problem/>
If you like this story, get more great articles and subscribe to In These
Times magazine at:
http://www.inthesetimes.com/subscribe<https://www.inthesetimes.com/subscribe>