[Peace-discuss] Lincoln-AWARE debate

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Thu May 21 12:01:17 CDT 2009

John writes "I'm curious what you would have done as President in 1861,
Wayne.  Simply let the South secede? "

Consider the advantages. Instead of red and blue states, we'd have a red
and a blue county. We could have had wars all the way to the West coast and
probably beyond. What more could one ask? Whoops- I forgot that this is an
ANTI-war group.

Lincoln wasn't prepared to start a war over secession. Fort Sumter forced a
decision. I think it was the wrong decision, but it was certainly a hard
one. Lacking a crystal ball to look down both paths, we cannot know if
Lincoln made the right choice, or if it would have been better to let the
Confederacy go. It is the case that after we got Britain out of the mix we
didn't have another war with Canada, and one can use this to argue that
there would not have been war if secession had been allowed. On the other
hand, the South was hyper-militarized due to a fear of slave rebellions,
and I'm not so sure that we wouldn't have had war anyhow over who owned
which part of the West. The Union would have been pinched between British
Canada and the pro-British Southern oligarchs, which is fairly scarry to
think about.

In any case, it is done.

A perhaps more interesting question is whether or not the American
Revolution was a good idea. I say yes, but I'm quite sure that there are
people monitoring this list who don't think so. This is a somewhat better
test of the purity of ones anti-war stance.

Bob