[Peace-discuss] the stinkin' lincoln legacy

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Thu May 21 15:38:17 CDT 2009

>   [2] collect duties outside the ports of seceding States or blockade
> them;
There are those who are of the opinion that the issue of Tariffs and
Duties levied on
imported goods entering Southern ports was more of a divisive and
contentious issue than
the matter of slavery, since neither the South nor the North had a
majority favouring
abolition and emancipation in 1861.  The tariff was high and served as a
trade barrier
favouring goods produced by the factories of the North as opposed to
products from Europe and
elsewhere.