[Peace-discuss] the stinkin' lincoln legacy

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Thu May 21 19:17:47 CDT 2009

> P.S. "Gedanken experiments"

My German was never very good; but now my bad German is more than a little rusty. J  I guess I should have stuck to calling them “thought experiments.”

>. But I believe in the present case that no compelling conclusions can be drawn

That may be true enough; but I think it may be unreasonable to expect a detailed and complete enough case to be made so as to provide compelling (as opposed to merely provocative) conclusions in an email or even a series of emails.  Poetry and poetic metaphors may shorten the amount of discourse and articulation needed to make a point; but then it takes people much more literate, intelligent, and wise than I to understand and appreciate the poetry – much less grasp what is being conveyed.

The best example of a “thought experiment” (although not technically involving counter factual statements as much as a counterfactual approach) in the social sciences was Max Weber’s comparative Sociology of Religion series in which he wrote  four books (one each on Ancient Judaism, Hinduism, Confucianism, and Protestantism) in order to demonstrate that a religion with the properties of Protestantism was sufficient if not necessary for the Rise of Capitalism and that the properties of other forms of religious belief were insufficient to support the rise of Capitalism but lead to alternative possibilities with respect to economic behavior.  But as I noted it took four relatively  large books to conduct this experiment and present a compelling case for his conclusions and not a single email or series of emails.

The benefit of these presentation on this list are that they are provocative and might cause people to bracket their commonly accepted notions of Lincoln and call them into question so as to treat his statements and positions as problematic realities whose meanings require analyses of the contexts in which they took place and serve as indexical expressions of his intentions, purposes, and understandings as well as  a glossary visible and noticeable indicators as to what practical purposes at hand he was trying to accomplish at the moment that he expressed the articulations or took the actions.  However, I still think that for a July 4 float they are much to provocative in nature with little readily understood substance to those who do not already accept their premises so as to cause many of those who might read them in total or in parsed and edited form to take a defensive stand rather than be open to wanting to examine their validity and implications.  Moreover, I doubt if they can really be edited into an effective slogan edition even with pictures so as to work for a parade float that passes by in a few moments.