[Peace-discuss] the stinkin' lincoln legacy

Morton K. Brussel brussel at illinois.edu
Thu May 21 16:36:57 CDT 2009

On May 21, 2009, at 4:06 PM, LAURIE SOLOMON wrote:

> Ah Mort,  counterfactual gedanke experiments are well within the
> scientific method and experience.  While they cannot change the past
> or the future - for that matter - they can help us understand missed
> possible alternative realities and reveal potential assumptions and/
> or presumptive conditions that were presumed to exist so as be
> sufficient if not necessary in order to enable one to ground the
> decisions that were made and actions that were taken.  Like all
> experiments, the evidence is probabilistic and not deterministic;
> and the conclusions are proofs the sense that they can be proven
> empirically.  They are only open to disproof logically and
> empirically. Some would say counterfactual gedanke experiments are
> merely heuristic; but even so, heuristic exercises can be
> instructive and profitable.

Laurie, they may be. But I believe in the present case that no
compelling conclusions can be drawn. Given strong enough arguments, I
guess I could be wrong. I haven't seen such compelling arguments here.
On the other hand, it could be interesting to consider in depth other
(long range) scenarios and speculations on what might have been.
Here's an opportunity for for historical fiction novelists.

P.S. "Gedanken experiments"