[Peace-discuss] July 4th float -- okay, seriously...

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri May 22 09:57:54 CDT 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 02:59:30AM -0500, Karen Medina wrote:
> > I have no desire to attack Lincoln.
> I'm happy to attack Lincoln outside of the parade. Just not in it.
> -karen medina

I agree.  I trust we do aim, in the parade as elsewhere,
to *persuade* people to our points of view -- standing in opposition
to war, for example.

I don't think it serves our purpose to stand around
preaching Absolute Truth as we see it, if we know (and we do)
that our audience won't understand our criticism of Lincoln --
certainly not any criticism that'd fit on a float --
and will just dismiss whatever else we say.