[Peace-discuss] July 4th float -- okay, seriously...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun May 24 20:29:43 CDT 2009

Karen Medina wrote:
>> I have no desire to attack Lincoln.
> I'm happy to attack Lincoln outside of the parade. Just not in it.

I agree. The theme we're supposed to illustrate is "The Lasting Legacy of LINCOLN."

We should therefore accent those elements of Lincoln's thought that were
anti-war (such as his opposition to the Mexican War) and anti-capitalist (such
as his opposition to wage-slavery, at least as strong as his opposition to
chattel slavery).

Here's an edited version of the suggestions I made before -- quotes from Lincoln
& illustrative photos.  (I suggest we use a few, not all of them.)

     THE ANTI-WAR ANTI-RACISM EFFORT REMEMBERS
     LESSONS FROM LINCOLN ON WAR AND WORK

     ************************

     * "Allow the President to invade a neighboring nation whenever he shall
deem it necessary to repel an invasion ... and you allow him to make war at
pleasure.
     [PHOTO = LIST OF COUNTRIES & DATE WE INVADED THEM (last 20 YEARS):
PANAMA-1989 SOMALIA-1992 HAITI-1994 SERBIA-1999 AFGHANISTAN-2001 IRAQ-2003
PAKISTAN-2009]

     * "Teach all the folly of being the beginners of a war."
     [PHOTO = BUSH'S "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" BANNER]

     * "Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves"
     [PHOTO = GITMO, ABU GHRAIB, BAGRAM, ETC. ETC.]

     * No man is good enough to govern another man without that other's consent.
     [PHOTO = ISRAELI CHECK-POINT ON W. BANK]

     * I could not take an oath to get power, and break the oath in using the
power.  [PHOTO = WIRETAPPING OR MILITARY TRIBUNAL]

     ************************

     * These capitalists have got into a quarrel with themselves, and we are
called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel.
      [PHOTO = PAULSON, BERNANKE, GEITHNER]

     * Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Labor is the superior of
capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
     [PHOTO = COALITION OF IMMOKALEE WORKERS]

     * With some the word liberty may mean for some men to do as they please
with other men, and the product of other men's labor.
     [PHOTO = HUGO CHAVEZ]

     * This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit
it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise
their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to
dismember or overthrow it.
     [PHOTO = ABBIE HOFFMAN OR NOAM CHOMSKY]

     * Why should there not be a patient confidence in the ultimate justice of
the people? Is there any better or equal hope in the world?
     [PHOTO = HOWARD ZINN'S "PEOPLE'S HISTORY OF THE US"]

     ###