[Peace-discuss] Torture is Evil Behavior by US Government, Authorized by the American People, That Radlcalizes People Against Us - Ron Paul

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Wed May 27 07:45:32 CDT 2009

Ron Paul
Infowars
May 26, 2009

While Congress is sidetracked by who said what to whom and when, our
nation finds itself at a crossroads on the issue of torture. We are at a
point where we must decide if torture is something that is now going to
be considered justifiable and reasonable under certain circumstances, or
is America better than that?

“Enhanced interrogation” as some prefer to call it, has been used
throughout history, usually by despotic governments, to cruelly punish
or to extract politically useful statements from prisoners. Governments
that do these things invariably bring shame on themselves. The fact that
our government engages in evil behavior under the auspices of the
American people is what poses the greatest threat to the American people.

In addition, information obtained under duress is incredibly unreliable,
which is why it is not admissible in a court of law. Legally valid
information is freely given by someone of sound mind and body. Someone
in excruciating pain, or brought close to death by some horrific
procedure is not in any state of mind to give reliable information, and
certainly no actions should be taken solely based upon it.

For these reasons, it is illegal in the United States and illegal under
Geneva Conventions. Simulated drowning, or water boarding, was not
considered an exception to these laws when it was used by the Japanese
against US soldiers in World War II. In fact, we hanged Japanese
officers for war crimes in 1945 for water boarding. Its status as
torture has already been decided by our own courts under this precedent.
To look the other way now, when Americans do it, is the very definition
of hypocrisy.

Matthew Alexander, author of How to Break a Terrorist used non-torture
methods of interrogation in Iraq with much success. In fact, one
cooperative jihadist told him, "I thought you would torture me, and when
you didn’t, I decided that everything I was told about Americans was
wrong. That’s why I decided to cooperate." Alexander also found that in
Iraq “the No. 1 reason foreign fighters flocked there to fight were the
abuses carried out at Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo. Our policy of torture
was directly and swiftly recruiting fighters for al-Qaeda in Iraq.”
Alexander’s experiences unequivocally demonstrate that losing our
humanity is not beneficial or necessary in fighting terror.

The current administration has reversed its position on releasing
evidence of torture by the previous administration and we must ask why.
A great and moral nation would have the courage to face the truth so it
could abide by the rule of law. To look the other way necessarily
implicates all of us and would of course further radicalize people
against our troops on the ground. Instead, we have the chance to limit
culpability for torture to those who were truly responsible for these
crimes against humanity.

Not everyone who was given illegal orders obeyed them. Many FBI agents
understood that an illegal order must be disobeyed and they did so. The
others must be held accountable, so that all of us are not targeted for
blowback for the complicity of some.

The government’s own actions and operations in torturing people, and in
acting on illegally obtained and unreliable information to kill and
capture, are the most radicalizing forces at work today, not any
religion, nor the fact that we are rich and free. The fact that our
government engages in evil behavior under the auspices of the American
people is what poses the greatest threat to the American people, and it
must not be allowed to stand.