[Peace-discuss] RE: [Discuss] What happens once the investigation is announced?

Christopher Evans caevans2 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 4 06:05:22 CST 2009

I share Melodye Rosales' grave concerns about the "transparency" and "independence" of the investigation into the current crisis we are in. We have allowed the corruption and managed perceptions by the Champaign Police Department to fester, and for the existence of criminality among some of the Champaign police officers. As I've written numerous times, we do not have leadership that takes seriously the misdeeds and deception that is going to sell the public that blame for Kiwane's death is on Kiwane. And this will be accepted by a state's attorney who has already publically trashed the testimony and credibility of the lone civilian witness to the events of Oct. 9.
While work is to be done to ensure not another Kiwane Carrington happen again, that rogue officers will be monitored if not fired; the current system is going to give a pass to what happened on Oct. 9. How the community will respond to this sanctioning of killing unarmed teenagers is going to be a test of our committment to truth and justice, and are willingness to endure for awhile the slings and arrows that suggest we are but activists with an agenda. I've checked with the Northwestern School of Journalism, and the Innocence Project, and they are no help. They don't handle the type of situation we have here.
How will a federal investigation be brought forth to investigate the actions of police the week of Oct. 9? All hands are needed on deck, and this cannot stop with just a few impassioned speeches at a dumbfounded city council. We are going to have to be there every week, every public participation time, to continue demanding this crime be told truthfully, and this police department change its ways and leadership. The Chief and the State's Attorney have thrown their lot in favor of protecting green pieces of paper, rather than deal with the outrageous behavior and subsequent deception of Oct. 9. This wound will get worse when the prejudiced State's Attorney will announce, "all is well, police acted 'appropriately' and how 'pleased' she is the State Police did a thorough investigation". We should understand that those who knew Kiwane, and/or know how the CPD operates, will not accept this answer.