[Peace-discuss] Killinghope.org …

Morton K. Brussel brussel at uiuc.edu
Wed Nov 4 14:57:59 CST 2009

More extracts from the inestimable Bill Blum:

…"Join the Army, visit far away places, meet interesting people, and
kill them.”
War licenses men to take part in what would otherwise be described as
psychopathic behavior.

"Sometimes I think it should be a rule of war that you have to see
somebody up close and get to know him before you can shoot him." —
Colonel Potter, M*A*S*H

"In the struggle of Good against Evil, it's always the people who get
killed." — Eduardo Galeano

After the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, a Taliban leader
declared that “God is on our side, and if the world’s people try to
set fire to Afghanistan, God will protect us and help us.” 4

"I trust God speaks through me. Without that, I couldn't do my job." —
George W. Bush, 2004, during the war in Iraq. 5

"I believe that Christ died for my sins and I am redeemed through him.
That is a source of strength and sustenance on a daily basis." —
Barack Obama. 6

Why don't church leaders forbid Catholics from joining the military
with the same fervor they tell Catholics to stay away from abortion
clinics?

God, war, the World Bank, the IMF, free trade agreements, NATO, the
war on terrorism, the war on drugs, "anti-war" candidates, and Nobel
Peace Prizes can be seen as simply different instruments for the
advancement of US imperialism.

… For Blum's complete commentary, see http://killinghope.org/bblum6/aer75.html