[Peace-discuss] president's speech on afghanistan - emergency response...

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 07:51:20 CST 2009

press speculation would suggest better than even odds that sometime in
November, the President will give a speech announcing that he intends
to send tens of thousands of more troops to Afghanistan in 2010.

I propose to spread around in advance the idea that there will be
a demonstration at the Vets Memorial in Urbana at 5pm the day of the
president's speech.

the idea of 5pm the day of the speech is to try to get into the
president's news cycle. so that when people are watching the local tv
news, the first thing they see is the president's announcement and the
second thing they see is the local reaction: "but local protesters say
that escalation is not the answer."

I furthermore propose that we invite Tim Johnson to speak. he's
rock-solid on this. now that's man bites dog.

--
Robert Naiman
Just Foreign Policy
naiman at justforeignpolicy.org