[Peace-discuss] Democrats for war again

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Oct 6 22:11:56 CDT 2009

[There was more real political contestation in, say, the Bulgarian parliament 50
years ago. Six of the seven nays were Republican; only one Democrat voted no
(Feingold).   --CGE]

	Senate OKs $626B defense budget
	October 6, 2009 08:55 PM EST

The Senate approved a $625.6 billion Pentagon budget Tuesday, ending a weeklong
debate reflecting very different but related wars: one in Afghanistan and the
other among aerospace giants vying to keep production lines open.

Adopted 93-7, the measure includes $128.6 billion for U.S. military operations
overseas, a number that will almost certainly grow in 2010 as the administration
revamps its strategy in the Afghanistan-Pakistan region. Meeting with top
lawmakers prior to the Senate action, President Barack Obama warned that the
annual costs would approach $1 billion for every 1,000 troops added, and
Afghanistan is now driving efforts to channel military spending more toward the
immediate needs of soldiers and Marines in the field — and not the high-priced
aircraft of the past...

“It’s not that we’re either going to get out or we’re going to put 40,000 troops
in. That’s not what it’s all about,” Rep. John Murtha (D-Pa.) told POLITICO in
paraphrasing Obama’s opening statement. “It’s trying to figure out a strategy
that we think will work”...

Full article at
http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=2C67348D-18FE-70B2-A84E836D54065BD1