[Peace-discuss] What about AWARE?

Morton K. Brussel brussel at illinois.edu
Wed Oct 7 22:03:59 CDT 2009

On this anniversary of the attack on Afghanistan, I feel despair and
frustration. Although there have been anti-war/occupation events
sprinkled around the country, if not elsewhere, in this community
there is little activity.

For a considerable time, AWARE was a community focus of anti-war
efforts, but AWARE has by now essentially disappeared as a vital
activist organization: Few attend its meetings, too few to constitute
an effective activist organization. At best, and usefully, there is a
virtual—email based—AWARE, but that is not an effective organizational
tool. A few individuals continue to act, to inform about activities in
the community and elsewhere, and to write about and analyze current
events. But it has been difficult to ignite what was formerly a large
community contingent repelled by our government's bellicosity. Film
presentations and occasional invited guest speakers have been
educational, but even these events usually have not been well
attended, and then only by those already rather committed to our
points of view . Even the AWARE table at the Farmers Market and the
One Main demonstrations have had trouble sustaining themselves.

So what can be done?  Do we give up on AWARE?
Can there be a revival of a significant visible anti-war effort in U-C?
How might it be organized?

Or do we just plod on?

What do others think?

It is a sad story, and perhaps not unique to us.

My thoughts. --mkb