[Peace-discuss] Team Obama: Afghan Taliban Not a Threat to U.S.

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 14:13:13 CDT 2009

No, actually, I think on net it will be good for Pakistan.

The Pakistanis have been complaining that 1) they weren't consulted on
the decision to send more U.S. troops to Afghanistan and 2) they're
against the U.S. sending more troops to Afghanistan.

Furthermore, the Pakistanis have had, shall we say, a more nuanced
view of the Afghan Taliban than the U.S. has had, so if the U.S. is
moving towards a more nuanced view, they're moving towards the
Pakistani position.

It's certainly true that some people in Washington would like to bomb
more targets in Pakistan. But the status quo appears to be that the
U.S. cannot go after any target in Pakistan that the Pakistani
government does not approve, and there is no reason to expect that to
change.