[Peace-discuss] Mr. Estabrook's criticism

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Oct 16 21:18:09 CDT 2009

The most recent and detailed statement by Rory Stewart of his views -- whose
lead you say you follow "in advocating for a very slimmed-down American force in
the region" -- seems to be "The Irresistible Illusion" at
<http://www.lrb.co.uk/v31/n13/stew01_.html>.  There he writes

    "After seven years of refinement, the policy seems so buoyed by illusions,
caulked in ambiguous language and encrusted with moral claims, analogies and
political theories that it can seem futile to present an alternative. It is
particularly difficult to argue not for a total withdrawal but for a more
cautious approach ... two distinct objectives would remain for the international
community: development and counter-terrorism" -- apparently, whether the Afghans
like it or not.

Stewart spends a long time recounting the practical difficulties of the US (he
pretends it's US/UK) policy.  He suggests that they are essentially similar to
those faced by the British in Afghanistan in 1868.  And he ends his article with
a literary analysis of a British report from 140 years ago.

What he does not do is assess the source of US (and perforce UK) policy in the
region.  For two generations the US has insisted that it control the 2,000 mile
radius around the Persian Gulf by whatever means -- conquest, alliance,
intimidation, occupation.  The region includes what the State Department 50
years ago declared "the world's greatest material prize" -- Mideast gas and oil.

Of course the US doesn't need these resources for domestic consumption -- we get
less than 10% of our oil from the Mideast.  But controlling them gives us an
unquestioned advantage over our real economic rivals in the world -- the EU and
northeast Asia.  The US government in successive administrations has shown
itself willing to kill indiscriminately and spend without counting the cost to
secure this advantage.

The primary threat to US control of the region comes today from Pakistan, a
country with two-thirds the population of the US and a larger army; and
Afghanistan is "Pipelineistan," as Pepe Escobar of the Asia Times calls it, the
essential connective within what the US calls "Central Command" -- from
Palestine to Pakistan, and from Central Asia to the Horn of Africa.

What the Pentagon calls the Long War is its murderous struggle against the
people of this region for the control of their resources.  It is camouflaged as
a war against terrorism, just as the US colonial war in SE Asia 40 years ago was
camouflaged as a war against communism.  But the people we call terrorists -- or
insurgents, militants, jihadists, Taliban, al-Qaida, etc. -- are primarily
motivated by resistance to the invasion and occupation of their countries by the
US -- as even the attackers of 9/11 were.

Were the situation reversed, American resistance to an occupying Middle Eastern
army would go without saying.  And naturally, recognizing the justice of a cause
doesn't imply the justification of unacceptable tactics.

Invading armies have no rights, only responsibilities. Among them are the
responsibility to pay reparations for their crimes, and to hold the guilty --
those who perpetrated the invasion -- accountable.  A crucial responsibility is
to pay careful attention to the will of the victims.  The decision to withdraw
does not lie in the hands of the invaders.  That should be elementary.

I note that today is the anniversary of the execution of Nazi leaders by the
Nuremberg Tribunal in 1946.  The crime for which they were hanged was aggression
-- "invasion by its armed forces" by one state "of the territory of another
state" -- "the supreme international crime differing only from other war crimes
in that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the whole". The chief
US prosecutor at Nuremberg, Supreme Court Justice Robert Jackson, forcefully
insisted that the Tribunal would be mere farce if we do not apply its principles
to ourselves.

Regards, CGE