[Peace-discuss] Mr. Estabrook's criticism

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Oct 16 19:00:22 CDT 2009

David--

Here are two positions on the US war in AfPak (obviously others are possible):

      Position 1 OPPOSES "a total withdrawal of U.S. forces from Afghanistan
[and] favors keeping 10,000 to 20,000 special operations forces in [Afghanistan]
to prevent any further expansion of al-Qaida."

      Position 2 FAVORS "the immediate withdrawal of American troops from
Afghanistan."

The first is your announced position; the second is Tim Johnson's.  I think a
neutral observer would call the former pro-war and the later anti-war.

You say it's "misleading" to say that you support the administration's position
that it's "stopping terrorism" by war in AfPak.  What, then, is the purpose of
the war, withdrawal from which you oppose?  What is the mission of those "10,000
to 20,000 special operations forces"?  "Prevent[ing] any further expansion of
al-Qaida" sounds like stopping terrorism.

The US military asserts that al-Qaida is in Pakistan, not Afghanistan, so your
position apparently includes further hostilities against Pakistan (which the
current administration has expanded, as they said they would, much beyond what
the last administration did).

Tim Johnson may be lying, and he did support the invasion and occupation of
Iraq, which I condemned him for when I ran against him in 2002 and afterwards.
Or he may have learnt something -- e.g., the criminal nature of the war, or just
the US public's declining support for it.

A principal task of the anti-war movement over the last eight years has been to
convince Congressional representatives to change their views, but very few have.
  Some, like the president, have pretended that they oppose the war while
supporting it.

But Tim has set forth a way to test to test his sincerity: he has said that he
is "working with a bipartisan group, including Reps. Ron Paul, R-Texas, Jim
McGovern, D-Mass., and Jerry Costello, D-Belleville, on the Afghanistan
withdrawal legislation."  We'll await the appearance of that legislation.
(Would you oppose it?)

Meanwhile, do you know what "special operations forces" do?  Their line of work
is assassination and death squads.  That's why Obama appointed their leader,
McChrystal, to run the killing in Afghanistan.  You shouldn't support it.

Regards, Carl