[Peace-discuss] Police policy on lethal force

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Wed Oct 21 16:51:15 CDT 2009

John.

It is my understanding that in some states, the law allows cops t o shoot
fleeing felons ( I believe that this is true for Illinois); but most
departments of any size in metropolitan areas - at least - have departmental
policies against it  for a number of reasons including potential liability
and responsibility for deaths and injuries to innocent passer -bys, the
safety, security, and well-being of the general public who might be hit by
stray bullets, and the avoidance of creating general public panic and crowd
control issues that might take place as a result of a cop shooting at a
fleeing felon in situations where there is no immediate threat to the cop or
another's life or limb. Departments have restrictive policies against
shooting at a fleeing felon despite the laws that allow for it the same as
they have policies that prohibit firing warning shots in the air.