[Peace-discuss] "Lessons in Disaster", indeed

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Oct 27 11:59:50 CDT 2009

Kennedy is not much of a model for Obama.  The major invasion of South Vietnam
occurred in 1962, while Kennedy was president.

Kennedy's National Security Action Memorandum 263, dated October 11, 1963 (six
weeks prior to his death), gave qualified approval to the recommendations of
Robert McNamara and Maxwell Taylor, who were greatly encouraged by the military
prospects in South Vietnam and were “convinced that the Viet Cong insurgency”
could be sharply reduced in a year and that the US–run war effort should be
“completed by the end of 1965.” They therefore advised “An increase in the
military tempo” of the war throughout South Vietnam (a "surge") and withdrawal
of some troops in 1963 and all troops in 1965 —- if this could be done “without
impairment of the war effort” and with assurance that “the insurgency has been
suppressed” or at least sufficiently weakened so that the U.S. client regime
(GVN) is “capable of suppressing it.”

Once again they stressed that the “overriding objective” is victory, a matter
“vital to United States security.” JFK approved their recommendations, while
distancing himself from the withdrawal proposal and approving instructions to
Ambassador Lodge in Saigon stressing “our fundamental objective of victory” and
directing him to press for “GVN action to increase effectiveness of its military
effort” so as to ensure the military victory on which withdrawal was explicitly
conditioned. The president, Lodge was informed, affirmed “his basic statement
that what furthers the war effort we support, and what interferes with the war
effort we oppose,” the condition underlying NSAM 263, as consistently throughout
the period and beyond.

On November 1, 1963, South Vietnamese generals overthrew the Diem government,
arresting and soon killing Diem: Kennedy sanctioned Diem's overthrow, in part
for fear that Diem might negotiate a neutralist coalition government which
included Communists, as had occurred in Laos in 1962. Dean Rusk, Secretary of
State, remarked "This kind of neutralism ... is tantamount to surrender." (See
the account of the killing of Diem in Tim Weiner, Legacy of Ashes: The History
of the CIA [2007].)  --CGE