[Peace-discuss] "Lessons in Disaster", indeed

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 12:16:49 CDT 2009

As I wrote in the piece (not in the part that I excerpted here):

President Kennedy was no dove. Kennedy was willing to violate
international law and Kennedy was willing to authorize the killing of
people in foreign countries who had committed no crime against the
people of the United States. What Kennedy was not willing to do was
commit U.S. ground troops to an unwinnable war in Vietnam. And he
wasn't willing to commit U.S. ground troops - as some of his advisers
were - in the belief that protecting U.S. "credibility" meant that it
would be better to fight and lose than not to fight. You don't have to
be a dove to understand what President Kennedy understood: putting
U.S. troops on the ground somewhere doesn't automatically make you
more powerful. Indeed, it could make you less powerful, because, all
other things being equal, a person with more options is more powerful
than a person with fewer options. And if military escalation closes
off opportunities for diplomatic and political solutions, it makes you
less powerful.

Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-naiman/lessons-in-disaster-if-ob_b_335444.html