[Peace-discuss] AWARE

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Sep 3 09:01:41 CDT 2009

Here's the OED pontificating, as it were--

[< classical Latin pontific-, pontifex Roman high priest, in post-classical
Latin also pope (4th cent.), bishop (5th cent.; frequently from 7th cent. in
British sources), archbishop (frequently from 8th cent. in British sources),
apparently (following ancient etymologists) < ponti-, alternative stem of pons
bridge (see PONS n.) + -fic-, -fex, combining form of facere to do, make (see
FACT n.), though this may represent merely a folk etymology ... In sense 4
chiefly used punningly or allusively with reference to the supposed etymology.]
	[...]
     4. A bridge-maker. Also fig.
1686 J. F. G. CARERI Let. 6 Apr. in Coll. Voy. & Trav. (1732) 88/1 Jucundus on
the Seyne two bridges laid, For which he well may Pontifex be said. Pontifex has
here a double meaning, as signifying a bridge-maker; whereas the true
acceptation of it is a bishop. 1834 T. CARLYLE Sartor Resartus I. xi. 28/2 Never
perhaps since our first Bridge-builders, Sin and Death, built that stupendous
Arch from Hell-gate to the Earth, did any Pontifex, or Pontiff, undertake such a
task. 1877 Outl. Hist. Relig. 237 No special deity claimed the services of the
Pontifices, the bridge- or road-makers. 1927 Jrnl. Royal Anthropol. Instit. 57
248 Moses was a Pontifex indeed. His device, whatever it may have been, perhaps
the choice of an interval between the floods, became a miracle. 1999 Hinduism
Today (Nexis) 30 Apr. 25 He was a Pontifex..a man throwing bridges over
different rivers. Vedic heritage and Greek Pagan thought, Hindu worldview and
Germanic tradition.