[Peace-discuss] Recruit a Republican Against the War in Afghanistan

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 11:11:27 CDT 2009

With respect to Afghanistan, in the House of Representatives today,
you can say that both parties are the war party, or you can say that
the Republicans are the war party, but it would not be accurate to say
that Democrats are the war party.

I explained this in the piece. Briefly: when it came to a vote over
the summer, the majority of House Democrats voted no on the war, but
only 7 Republicans voted no (including, to his great credit, our Rep,
Tim Johnson.)

This matters because, as I explained in the piece, there is no likely
path to ending support for the war in Congress that does not involve
turning more House Republicans against it.

Where are our Ron Paul Republicans? Are they building pressure on
Republicans in Congress to vote no on the war? If not, why not?