[Peace-discuss] State Department Terminates Aid to Honduras Coup Regime

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Fri Sep 4 10:34:40 CDT 2009

Digging deeper, It seems that the United States was involved in
precipitating the Military Coup from
its base in Tegucigalpa.

Pepe Escobar notes in Asian Times:
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/South_Asia/KI03Df01.html
> The beauty of Plan Colombia is its one-size-fits-all status - from
> AfPak to Mexico. Few people know that in April 2007, the former US
> ambassador to Colombia, William Wood, was sent to Afghanistan to
> implement ... a Plan Colombia, that is, counter-insurgency disguised
> as a war on drugs. Colombia is a mirror of Afghanistan - and
> vice-versa. It goes without saying that counter-insurgency-heavy
> Afghanistan - now under the supreme boot of former death-squad
> operator to General Davis Petraeus in Iraq, General Stanley
> <http://www.atimes.com/atimes/South_Asia/KI03Df01.html#> McChrystal -
> still produces over 90% of the world's opium.
>
> And inevitably that's where NATO comes in. The only part of the world
> where NATO is still not active is ... South America. Few people also
> know that a few months ago, the head of the Pentagon's Southern
> Command, Admiral James Stavridis, became NATO supreme commander. Three
> of the past five NATO top military commanders - Stavridis, Bantz
> Craddock and Wesley Clark - moved to NATO glory from ... the Southern
> Command, certainly adding another meaning to the gloomy expression
> "School of the Americas".
>
> No wonder Bolivian President Evo Morales said in Cuba, in mid-July, "I
> have first-hand information that the empire, through the US Southern
> Command, made the coup d'etat in Honduras." And all this while not
> only Mexico and Argentina - but also Brazil and Ecuador - are on their
> way to decriminalizing drugs.
>
> War on drugs? So much for the cover story. More like the Pentagon
> stuck in the business, to quote Galeano, of insulting Latin America's
> intelligence for a long time to come.

Escobar also makes some notes about the grand plan of US Hegemony that
drives the war machine...