[Peace-discuss] McClatchy: public opposed to more troops in Afg., esp. women, lower-income

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 13:22:59 CDT 2009

I agree, one should not over-interpret these differences affirmatively
based on this single poll. I think they are more important for
dispelling the opposite assumptions. If one really wanted to make
conclusions about different groups one would need more data and try to
pull apart cross-correlations - more educated people tend to have more
income, tend to be more Republican, etc. I suspect those
cross-correlations are driving most of the differences here, although
the possibility that more educated people are more indoctrinated
should not be discounted.

I saw a talk many years ago at Levis by a historian whose name,
unfortunately, I can't remember. He asked the large crowd if they
thought less-educated or more-educated Americans were more or less
likely to support the Vietnam war. A handful of us raised our hands
for the proposition that more educated Americans were more likely to
support the war. The overwhelming majority of the crowd thought that
less-educated Americans were more likely to support the war. Of
course, polling showed the opposite. He claimed that the result was
true even if you pulled out differences in income, and that the
difference was due to the indoctrination effect of education.

I was part of the handful, because I had read my Chomsky. :)

--
Robert Naiman
Just Foreign Policy
naiman at justforeignpolicy.org

Senator Feingold Calls for Timetable for U.S. Troop Withdrawal from Afghanistan
http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/act/exit-afghanistan