[Peace-discuss] A fresh wind blows against the Empire.

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Sun Sep 6 21:50:49 CDT 2009

/"People can try and fool themselves that...Obama truly wants peace. The
reality of facts on the ground dispute this.  We are deceiving ourselves
if we think otherwise.  Obama is fully on the trajectory of the Empire,
there is no denying this...I do not place the blame for imperial
violence on any president:  It is the system...What can the people do to
counteract our governments that don't have our best interests in mind?"/
- Cindy Sheehan

Fresh Winds Blow Against the Empire, as the Nation Tires of Futile,
Endless, Back-Breaking War.
by E. Wayne Johnson   republicmedia.tv (http://tiny.cc/ewjrmtv6sep09)

Conservatives Flee Failed NeoCon Dogmata, while Anti-War Left Fumes at
Obama, and Former BHO Supporters Struggle to Fight Back Buyer's Remorse.

After 8 years, nearly a trillion dollars spent (that's the "Official"
Figure, the "total spent" on the war when the "off-the-balance sheet"
expenditure is known undoubtably much much more), over 5100 US lives
lost, tens of thousands wounded, and more soldiers suffering from
shellshock/PTSD, what do Americans have to show for the sacrifice?
Bubkes.  Bubkes.  Who's got the bubkes?...

In the ancient Chinese classic Sun Zi Bing Fa ("Master Sun's Art of
War"), Master Sun advised 2500 years ago that there are only two
possible outcomes of War:  Survival or Ruin.  Considering that neither
Iraq nor Afghanistan had threatened our survival, the inevitable ruin
was anticipated by our wiser leaders, but not by those who were in charge.

In a couple of extraordinary columns last week in the Washington Post,
Conservative Pundit George Will speaks out against Bush's war which has
expanded into Obama's war.  "The war already is nearly 50 percent longer
than the combined U.S. involvements in two world wars" says Will, who
finds a solution for military success in Afghanistan to be
"inconceivable".   Will also notes that the Iraqis are quite likely to
demand an end to the despised US occupation of their sovereign land, and
says "The United States should treat this as a Dirty Harry Moment: Make
our day.", meaning that a "Yankee Go Home" message from the Iraqi voters
should be the cue for our long-overdue departure from Iraq.

Will suggests that there might be some need for a military force in the
Pakistan-Afghanistan border region, but nonetheless his principled
stance against the war is reminiscent of the pre-neocon Robert Taft
Conservative days when the GOP was the peace party and the Dems were the
war party.

Arch-neocon William ("Bloody Bill") Kristol wasted no time in asserting
that George had lost his "will" by "urging retreat, and accepting
defeat", and encouraging more expenditures and more effort and more
troops in Afghanistan.  One is not surprised to hear such from Bill
Kristol and gang.

(read more: http://tiny.cc/ewjrmtv6sep09)