[Peace-discuss] A fresh wind blows against the Empire.

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Sep 7 10:34:25 CDT 2009

But the truth of a proposition (e.g., "The US should withdraw from the Middle
East") does not depend on the motives -- good, bad, or mixed -- of those who
hold it.

(I realize that one can construct a logical exception, of the sort of the Cretan
who says "All Cretans are liars.")

Eliot was right only in a personal, psychological, or ethical sense (important
senses, of course) when he wrote "The last temptation is the greatest treason /
to do the right deed for the wrong reason."  (And it's great poetry, too.)

In a political sense, one has to conclude that many of one's allies are doing
the right deed for the wrong reason.  (That doesn't of course usually excuse one
from talking about the right reasons.)  --CGE