[Peace-discuss] A fresh wind blows against the Empire.

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Mon Sep 7 09:53:58 CDT 2009

Pure partisanship is a motivator for many but it is really a very poor
way for one to develop opinions.
It is nevertheless a reasonable question to ask if Will is motivated by
partisan politics.

I haven't been a big reader or fan of George Will, but I have done a bit
of study about his views
since I had considered using his comments against the war, I did some
reading up on Will.  I did not
want to be in the compromising position of spreading the ideas of a
neoconservative or a poseur.

George Will, a traditional conservative, has been a rather consistent
critic of the war during the Bush Administration and
he has been severely criticized by Republicans who felt that he was a
traitor for not going
along with the party line.  Will has long been a vocal opponent of the
John McCain and
clearly expressed his dismay at the nomination of Sarah Palin.

So, yes, I think that Will would have written a similar piece about McCain.

I find that I don't exactly agree with George Will on several points.
He is willing to defend Pakistan's
border, whereas I would just bring Everyone home and gradually dismantle
the American Empire.

But Will's suggestions are a step in the correct direction.