[Peace-discuss] A fresh wind blows against the Empire.

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 7 08:35:27 CDT 2009

On Sun, Sep 06, 2009 at 11:09:44PM -0500, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
> Principled?  Will seems to me to be making a purely prudential judgment.
> Or, as we say today, "pragmatic," which means a judgment that specifically
> excludes ethical considerations.
>
> There are two quite different ways to oppose America's Mideast war:
>
> [1] it will cost too much to achieve US war aims; or
>
> [2] it's a crime.
>
> Will seems to be embracing [1], not [2].  --CGE

There is a Third Way, too:

  [3] Obama's a Democrat, and I'm a Republican, and therefore Obama's
	wars deserve criticism

... as with G. W. Bush's opposition to Clinton's bombing of Iraq before
his own election.   I suspect that Will wouldn't have written an article
like this if we had McCain in the White House.