[Peace-discuss] (no subject)

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Sep 10 22:48:21 CDT 2009

And may I recommend along with it the novel "Empire" by Gore Vidal -- certainly
the best political novelist of the American 20th century.  Like his portrait of
Lincoln,  it presents a more accurate picture in fictional form than the
tendentious historical accounts of American apologists.

Whyte is a right-winger who's been the paid scribe of the a number of
business-friendly Canadian publications. It's hardly surprising that he'd
produce a "revisionist" account of Hearst.  The latter's criminal imperialism
was obvious to his acute contemporaries, like Mark Twain (whose "War Prayer"
every American should know).

An editorial in the "Springfield Republican," the leading anti-imperialist daily
newspaper in the United States at the turn of the 20th century, declared, "Mark
Twain has suddenly become the most influential anti-imperialist and the most
dreaded critic of the sacrosanct person in the White House that the country
contains."

Worth reflecting on as we deplore impoliteness to the current sacrosanct person
in the White House.  --CGE