Fw: [Peace-discuss] Re: Fwd: Heckling the President is Unacceptable

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Sep 11 21:30:01 CDT 2009

You make an important point.

Remember though that the British (& Canadian) prime minister is not head of
state -- that's Queen Eliz. II -- but head of government.

The US constitution combined the two roles in order to create an executive
strong enough to put down demands for democracy from the likes of Daniel Shays
and his friends.

The point of the secret (and treasonous) meetings in Philadelphia in the hot
summer of 1787 was to construct a constitution -- presently in force -- that
would prevent the movement toward democracy.  That's clear from Madison's
diaries,  the best source for what went on, from the man most responsible for
the final product.

But the debate's not over.  --CGE