[Peace-discuss] Fw: The myth of 60

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 17:20:55 CDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 4:46 PM, LAURIE SOLOMON <LAURIE at advancenet.net>wrote:

>  The problem with the key assertion here is that, while the Senate only
> needs 51 votes to pass the bill, it does need 60 plus to prevent the
> opponents from filibustering the bill to death.  Thus, realistically you do
> need 60 votes to make change happen.

Either you didn't read the thing you're responding to, Laurie, or else
you're not convinced by it.  Here's what it says, below:

"While Senate rules allow a procedural tactic known as the filibuster to
block most bills without the support of 60 senators, there are exceptions --
because Senate rules also ban the use of a filibuster to block budget
reconciliation bills. That means, if the Senate can't pass healthcare reform
including the choice of a public option with 60 votes, they can still pass
it in the budget bill this year by majority vote."

> Morover, all the petitions in the world will not produce the votes
> necessary to get a reasonable bill that grants any sort of guarantee of good
> “healthcare for all” legislation from getting past the minority who will
> block it with filibusters and institutes a detailed set of reasonable and
> enforceable controls over the insurance industry and its work-a-day
> practices.  One only needs to look at the states where the insurance
> commissioners who are suppose to regulate the industry in their states have
> been captured by the very same industry and do not have the authority in
> most instances to demand proprietary documents or carry out in-depth
> investigations of individual cases under current privacy laws even when the
> client grants permission to them to examine their records.

I agree that we won't end up with a health care 'reform' bill that's worth a
damn, due to the incestuous, criminal relationship between corporate America
and our politicians.  But a bill could be passed with fewer than 60 votes,
as explained above and below.

John Wason