[Peace-discuss] Obama's High Noon

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Sep 22 11:20:32 CDT 2009

The Hudibrastic Huber may be on to something here.  I hope so.  Perhaps the
first movie I ever saw was Gary Cooper's "High Noon" (1952), and I was much
impressed years later when I read in college an analysis of it as an allegory of
American political fears in the 1950s (sort of "Go West, Mad Men!").

I see two problems with Huber's account.  First, he sees the AfPak phase of the
war as a contest between a Petraeus-dominated Pentagon and a beset
administration, but he ignores the extent to which that administration is down
with the long-term US program for the Middle East, viz., we must dominate it for
geopolitical reasons.

Second, he's too confident that "Defeating insurgencies is never possible."
That's not quite the lesson of the last 60 years.  It's rather that "Defeating
insurgencies is never possible, unless you're willing to all but destroy the
society."  It was a bit of aesthetic insight (the poets usually get there first)
to seize on the remark of a US officer in Vietnam, that "we had to destroy the
village in order to save it," as the motto of the US assault on SE Asia.

Remember that the US did defeat an insurgency in South Vietnam, in the sense
that we destroyed the possibility that the country would be a model of
independent social and economic development, outside of US control -- which is
what the Vietnamese war of national liberation was about.  Vietnam today begs
for tennis-shoe factories.  But we had to kill four million Asians and produce
an environmental catastrophe in order to get that result.

And who's to say that, driven by policy, we're not willing to do that and more
in the Mideast?  SE Asia was important to the US only as a demonstration (pour
encourager les autres*) to other developing states; SW Asia is vital to US
control of the resources that give us the upper hand over Europe and a now
independent Asia.  If we killed four million for the former, how many will we
kill for the latter?  --CGE

________
*Voltaire's novel Candide, referring to an actual incident in England in 1757,
includes the remark "dans ce pays-ci, il est bon de tuer de temps en temps un
amiral pour encourager les autres" ("in this country, it is wise to kill an
admiral from time to time to give courage to the others").

================

	Obama’s High Noon
	by Jeff Huber
	September 22, 2009

Recent events indicate that President Barack Obama is considering cutting the
Pentagon’s "long war" short.

First came his decision to drop the Bush administration policy of demanding that
Iran cede its right to enrich uranium for peaceful purposes as a precondition to
diplomatic talks. Then he canceled Bush’s pledge to deploy a missile-defense
system that doesn’t work in the Czech Republic and Poland and promised to
replace it with a missile-defense system that does work. Pro-war legislators
John McCain, Lindsey Graham, Joe Lieberman, John Boehner, and others howled like
a coven of wicked witches. (What a world! What a world!)

Now it looks like Obama may be seeing the forest among the trees with regard to
his Afghanistan policy. As Jason Ditz of Antiwar.com noted on Sept. 20, Obama is
looking at Gen. Stanley McChrystal’s request for 40,000 additional troops in
Afghanistan with skepticism. The Afghanistan question looks to be shaping up as
the big showdown between Obama and the long-war cabal headed by Gen. David
Petraeus and his lieutenants: Joint Chiefs Chairman Adm. Mike Mullen, Defense
Secretary Robert Gates, Iraq commander Gen. Ray Odierno, and McChrystal.

The long warriors were openly skeptical of candidate Obama’s promise to end the
U.S. presence in Iraq. When their allies in Congress and the right-wing media
slammed Obama for having voted against the Iraq surge as a senator, Obama
replied that the Iraq surge had drawn attention and resources from Afghanistan.
Ever since, the warlords have used their echo chamber to stuff Obama’s words
back in his face.

Afghanistan is President Obama’s war, they tell us. He’s the one who sent us
there; he’s the one who gave us the strategy. He’s the one, the implication
goes, who is making us quit in Iraq, so he better let us stay the course in
Afghanistan. Republican senator from Kentucky Mitch McConnell said that Petraeus
"did a great job with the surge in Iraq. I think he knows what he’s doing. Gen.
McChrystal is a part of that. We have a lot of confidence in those two generals.
I think the president does as well.”

Piffle. Petraeus knows what he’s doing all right; he’s setting himself up to be
the GOP’s great white hope come 2012 or 2016. By any real measure, the Iraq
surge has been a spectacular failure. Iraq’s government and security forces are
corrupt and incompetent, Sunni reconciliation is still a pipe dream, and no
progress has been made on the Kurdish issue. If McChrystal is a part of that,
all the more reason to distrust him as much as we should distrust Petraeus (or
Mullen or Gates or Odierno, who referred to the surge’s strategic malfunctions
as mere "tactical issues." That’s a perfect illustration of why I call Odierno
the "Desert Ox." Odierno, by the way, is the point man on pressuring Obama into
keeping U.S. troops in Iraq beyond the December 2011 deadline dictated by the
status of forces agreement. Thanks to Petraeus hagiographer Tom Ricks, Odie is
on record as wanting to see 30,000 to 35,000 troops in Iraq until at least 2015).

McChrystal has become the point man in the Pentagon mob’s unrestricted
information-warfare campaign against its commander in chief. According to a
Sept. 21 Washington Post article by Bob Woodward, McChrystal’s 66-page
assessment of the Afghanistan situation "bluntly states" that "without more
forces, the eight-year conflict ‘will likely result in failure.’"

McChrystal assessment states that “failure to gain the initiative and reverse
insurgent momentum in the near-term (next 12 months) – while Afghan security
capacity matures – risks an outcome where defeating the insurgency is no longer
possible.”

Defeating insurgencies is never possible. The only folks who ever win an
insurgency war own a majority share in the local gene pool. For us to "succeed"
in Afghanistan would require at least 10 percent of us to move there permanently
– something that might just happen, come to think of it, if Obama continues to
accede to the Pentagon’s demand for escalations.

And there’s plenty of pressure for him to do so. Petraeus says, “I don’t think
anyone can guarantee that it will work out even if we apply a lot more
resources. But it won’t work out if we don’t.” That’s a lovely piece of
obscuration; we should apply more resources, but don’t blame me when it doesn’t
work out.

A Sept. 18 McClatchy piece says that the military is "growing impatient with
Obama on Afghanistan" and complaining that "the Obama administration is sending
mixed signals about its objectives there and how many troops are needed to
achieve them." This information comes from unnamed "officials" and "senior
officers" in Kabul and Washington, who hint that McChrystal might resign if he
doesn’t get his way on additional troops.

The McClatchy article reports that "some [unnamed] members of McChrystal’s
staff" said they "don’t understand why Obama called Afghanistan a ‘war of
necessity’ but still hasn’t given them the resources they need to turn things
around quickly." I bet you a shiny new Illinois quarter that these members of
McChrystal’s staff included his personal public affairs officer, Rear Adm.
Gregory J. Smith, who is one of the Pentagon’s leading propaganda operatives.

McChrystal reports that the Afghan government is riddled with corruption, the
same situation that we have in Iraq and the same situation we had in Vietnam.
“The weakness of state institutions, malign actions of power-brokers, widespread
corruption, and abuse of power by various officials … have given Afghans little
reason to support their government,” McChrystal says. Those aren’t the kinds of
things we can fix.

During his talk show telethon last Sunday, Obama said, "I’m not interested in
just being in Afghanistan for the sake of being in Afghanistan or saving face or
… sending a message that America is here for the duration.”

That’s a direct answering shot to the Pentagon’s chief propaganda point: that in
order to succeed in Afghanistan, we must promise the Afghan people to stay there
forever and then do it. That doesn’t do the Afghan people a whole lot of good –
they got along just fine before we showed up – but it gives the Pentagon a
never-ending excuse to exist.

It might just be that Obama can reverse the insane tide of self-destructive
militarism that Dwight David Eisenhower warned us about during his 1961 farewell
speech. "We must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether
sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex," Ike said. "The
potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist."

Maybe, just maybe, Obama has the political skill and will to put our malignant
obsession with war into remission. I sure hope so.

[Commander Jeff Huber, U.S. Navy (retired), writes at Pen and Sword. Jeff's
novel Bathtub Admirals (Kunati Books), a lampoon on America's rise to global
dominance, is on sale now.]

http://original.antiwar.com/huber/2009/09/21/obamas-high-noon/