[Peace-discuss] Johnson on AfPak, healthcare

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Sep 22 13:12:52 CDT 2009

[Our Congressional representative does the right thing twice this week, calling
for (1) troops out of Afghanistan, and (2) opposition to the administration's
"Insurance Industry Profit Protection and Enhancement Act," Sen Baucus' health
care reform bill, accurately called by an insurance company executive an
"absolute gift to the industry."  And look who Timmy's associates are in his
Afghanistan withdrawal legislation -- apparently a far more serious suggestion
than those about "time tables."  When you call him (202-225-2371) to support his
Afghanistan position, mention too that single-payer/Medicare-for-all is the
right way to go on healthcare. --CGE]

	Johnson wants troops out of Afghanistan
	By Tom Kacich, The News-Gazette
	Tuesday September 22, 2009

GIBSON CITY – U.S. Rep. Tim Johnson, R-Urbana, told a town hall meeting Monday
night that he plans to sponsor legislation calling for the immediate withdrawal
of American troops from Afghanistan.

"I want to protect America, but I don't want to lose lives senselessly," Johnson
said following a one-hour, open-air session with about 300 people at a park
pavilion in Gibson City. "And we cannot police the world."

Johnson's unexpected comments were reminiscent of a break he made in early 2007
with former President Bush over the war in Iraq. At that time, he came out
against a "troop surge" in Iraq. "People believe and I believe that we are at a
point in history where, unless we have dramatic change in direction, we can wind
up being mired and continue to lose large numbers of lives – American, Iraqi and
others – indefinitely," he said in January 2007. "And I'm not going to be a part
of it."

Two years later, regarding a different country and with a different president,
Johnson said he sees a similarity.

"I'm suggesting to you that there is no end game. I believe that our men and
women are there in a mission that is ill-defined," Johnson said of the war in
Afghanistan and the growing pressure to send more American troops there. "I
think we're losing people by the day, here and over there, with no even indirect
relationship to our national security.

"Within a couple of weeks, I'm going to be looking at legislation and issuing a
definitive statement on my position on Afghanistan which at this point I would
suggest would call for our withdrawal of troops forthwith."

"We've had a succession from Vietnam to Iraq to Afghanistan, and the net result
has been thousands of lives lost, and very little progress made.

"It's kind of like one of those whack-a-moles at the fair. You knock down one
and there are four others to get up. I'm in favor of doing everything we can to
make America secure, to make sure we don't have another 9/11 or even anything
analogous to that, but I'm also convinced that our continued presence in
Afghanistan is not serving that role. And we need to seriously re-examine where
we're at."

Johnson said he is working with a bipartisan group, including Reps. Ron Paul,
R-Texas, Jim McGovern, D-Mass., and Jerry Costello, D-Belleville, on the
Afghanistan withdrawal legislation.

Gibson City and Ford County have always been strongly supportive of Johnson,
ever since he began his state legislative career in 1976 and his congressional
tenure in 2001. Last year, he got 80 percent of the vote in Ford County over
Democratic challenger Steve Cox.

And for the most part, he won praise Monday night.

He was applauded for his opposition to what he called "nationalized" health
care, and to the cap and trade bill that cleared the House earlier this summer.
He won more applause for his votes against 11 spending bills this year, saying
that the federal budget is "bloated" and the debt is out of control.

But there was some grumbling that he was not outspoken enough against the
leadership of Democratic Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi.

"If you feel I haven't been a strong enough voice, I'll do the best I can to be
that strong voice," Johnson said. "But if it reaches the point where you think
I'm not effective, then you should feel free to get a stronger voice."

Find this article at:

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/2009/09/22/johnson_plans_to_push_to_get_troops_out_of_afghanistan
Comments