[Peace-discuss] a critique of american medicine and theflexner report

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 19 10:55:56 CDT 2010

In the November 2008 general election, health care equipment manufacturers (Medtronics, etc.) funded an initiative for bonds to pay for expensive incubators. Meanwhile, local government-run clincs have been closing in recent years (preventive care that lessens the need for incubators). Here was the Green Party's recommendation:

Prop. 3: $2 Billion Children's Hospital Bond [No]
If this passes, $980 million (almost one billion dollars), in bonds will be sold by the state to be paid back with interest over 30 years from the general fund, to expand capacity in Californias Childrens Hospitals. The total cost is expected to be about $2 billion in taxpayer funds. At first glance, who could be against improving and expanding hospitals for children? Looking deeper however, it is evident that Prop 3 has serious problems.

First, this is essentially the same measure as Proposition 61 on the 2004 ballot, which passed giving $750 million to the same hospitals. Only $403 million (53.7%) of that money has been used. Shouldnt the prior fund be depleted before asking the taxpayers to fund another round?

Second, it is unclear if this taxpayer money is being used in the public interest. Eighty percent of the money will go to private hospitals (the other 20% goes to University of California facilities). Just looking at one of these private institutions, Childrens Hospital of Oakland, one finds that the President/CEO was paid $673,000 in compensation in 2006, and the Chief Operation Officer was paid $420,000 that year.

Third, this campaign represents an abuse of the Initiative process. These private hospitals, crying poor, actually have substantial assets and are using them to get additional public subsidies. Moreover, these institutions have hired Richie Ross, the high priced Sacramento political consultant, to run their slick campaign to tap into the taxpayers to fund their private hospitals.

Fourth, if the taxpayers are going to fund the expansion of privately owned hospitals, the taxpayers should get a share of the ownership and control of these institutions, (including board seats and watchdog positions), something, (of course), not part of this proposition.

Finally, it is far past time that we have democratic discussion, debate and action about how to fix our broken health care system, which leaves almost 50 million people without health care in this country.
A single payer health care system for all, similar to the Medicare system, should be central to this discussion, which must include how to fund and improve our stressed public hospitals. This is likely a much better use of our scarce tax dollars. Prop 3 simply perpetuates the existing and unfair privately dominated medical system.

http://www.cagreens.org/elections/2008/Propositions.081104.shtml#_prop3