[Peace-discuss] [Announce] And the FOP's response toNorbits'suspension

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Apr 25 20:15:27 CDT 2010

So why don't we use the vestiges of democratic process that remain?

No one gets (re)elected to the Champaign City Council unless s/he pledges to
dismiss Finney & Norbits and reform a corrupt police department.

We can make a lot of noise about that.  It should be the central issue in every
upcoming council election. There surely is nothing of equal importance. --CGE

On 4/25/10 7:29 PM, John W. wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 5:53 PM, E.Wayne Johnson <ewj at pigs.ag
> <mailto:ewj at pigs.ag>> wrote:
>
> Barbara, Because most of us are Principle Motivated, we often forget that
> others, particularly those in positions of authority and ability, are not
> Principle Motivated, but are rather Money Motivated. I can hardly imagine a
> more Money Motivated group than the City of Champaign.  They may have a heart
> of pure stone, but their pocketbook is made of glass.  If you can drive a big
> enough stake into their hip pocket you can make them hurt enough to get the
> reforms you are looking for.  Carter and his cronies dont give a ripe red
> rat's ass about peace and justice but after they feel the sting of a huge
> financial hit, they will change their attitude.
>
> And how is that going to happen, Wayne?  Any financial settlement resulting
> from a civil lawsuit will come out of the pockets of We the Taxpayers.  Steve
> Carter isn't gonna feel a damned thing.  You've apparently never had a career
> where you were able to count on a virtually unlimited supply of Other
> People's Money.
>
> The Plaintiffs need the meanest noisiest lawyer that money can buy.
>
> ----- Original Message ----- *From:* Barbara kessel
> <mailto:barkes at gmail.com> *To:* Jenifer Cartwright
> <mailto:jencart13 at yahoo.com> *Cc:* Peace-discuss List
> <mailto:peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net> *Sent:* Monday, April 26, 2010 1:38
> AM *Subject:* Re: [Peace-discuss] [Announce] And the FOP's response
> toNorbits'suspension
>
> Jennifer and interested others, Just a reminder that of the difference
> between a civil suit and a criminal suit. What Norbitz (and Finney) did or
> did not do is relevant to "wrongful death," but it only results in money to
> those who bring the suit, not to punishment of anyone. That would require a
> revised finding by the States Attorney who has already declared it an
> "accident," not involving "negligence."  Or a higher authority than the
> county, bringing some person(s) to court on criminal charges. That is my
> latest understanding at least and I am happy to be corrected, if that is not
> accurate. However, we are not just "waiting." There has been much research
> and work on the public policies that inform this entire situation of the
> "police culture." Stay tuned or come to the Champaign City Council (Tuesday
> nights) and the Human Relations Commission (evening of MAy 3). Come to the
> CUCPJ forum on Thursday, MAy 6, at the IMC. More on that soon. Barbara Kessel

believed to be clean.