[Peace-discuss] The message of wiki-leaks…

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 1 14:45:04 CDT 2010

The two liberal responses in today's NYT are interesting. Rich's is that the
Afghan war is on its downside, everyone knows it, so let's attend to other
issues while war is ended by some vague process that will not require voluntary
action on the part of the citizenry.

Thomas Friedman's response is that Americans are being played for suckers by our
puppets, including Karzai, and the Pakistanis. He also offers an account that
differentiates between the Saudi royal family and the Wahabbi sect--I haven't
heard this before, and I suspect its either fiction or exaggerated. Of course,
we nurtured the most "extreme" forces for our original foray into Afghanistan
during the Carter administration.

In any event, in Friedman's narrative, idealistic well-intentioned Americans are
being victimized by those trying to help them. Rich doesn't go that
far--implicitly well-intentioned Americans have simply made lots of mistakes.

In addition, there's enough megalomania between these four ears to fill a wing
of a psychiatric hospital, or perhaps the Pentagon.

DG